Position: IT Specialist (Software Support Technician) Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Hourly Rate: $26.83 – $33.14 per hour Reference #: ADM-12-21-01
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, McNabb Street
Posting Date: December 17, 2021 Closing Date: December 24, 2021 @ 4:30 pm
Reports to: Director, Finance and Administration
Reporting to the Financial and Systems Analyst / Director of Finance and Administration the IT Specialist is responsible for providing a comprehensive range of technical activities that support the development, implementation, maintenance, and configuration of the organization’s information technology (hardware and software) and communication systems. Utilizing a highly developed problem solving (troubleshooting) skill set, the IT Specialist will ensure the security of AFS data, address areas of IT/data risk, and also play a lead role in the training and support to staff on the use of technology. Through the unique organizational vantage point, the IT Specialist will provide advice to their supervisor on strategic opportunities to advance the AFS vision and mission.
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma in IT/Computer Science with a minimum of three years experience in a network environment one of which should be in a human services setting.
- Must be familiar with programming concepts, computer maintenance, all aspects of networks including cabling, installation, hubs, switches, and routers.
- Knowledge related to the assessment of user needs, planning, and implementation of information technology. Must be able to review user needs, recommend improvements to enhance existing performance and provide the training required to use the new technology.
- Experience in the migration, maintenance, administration, and security/compliance of enterprise on-premise and cloud services technology architecture. (i.e. Active Directory Federated Services, LDAP, MFA, HP Server and Storage Systems, Microsoft Server and Computer Operating Systems, Antivirus software, VMWare, Cisco, Sophos, MSSQL, PowerShell, Group Policy Object, (and MySQL, etc.).
- Experience administering O365, Exchange, Azure Active Directory, InTune, and SharePoint environments.
- Excellent troubleshooting/problem-solving skills and exceptional analytical skills. Must have the ability, patience, and knowledge to suggest appropriate and reasonable methods of solving system, database, hardware, and software issues.
- Demonstrated skills in the following areas:
- Maintenance of databases, networks, virtualization, group deployment, and patch management.
- System security (e.g. intrusion detection systems) and data backup/recovery
- Multiple programming and scripting languages.
- Communication (written and oral)
- Customer service with the ability to address user needs with a high level of tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to work in a highly professional multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s License (minimum of Class G2 if over the age of 19, and Class G license if 19 and under), ability to travel, and use of a personal vehicle.
- The ability to effectively communicate in both official languages (English/French) is an asset
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain the confidentiality of our clients and client information at all times as per agency policies and procedures.
- Provides hands-on front-line and helpdesk support for end-users in all software and related technical infrastructure.
- Utilizing a customer service approach establishes and maintains appropriate lines of communication and good working relationships with Algoma Family Services staff, external agencies, vendors, government, and the public.
- Participates in the planning and needs analysis for the information technology of AFS and is responsible for the maintenance of the technical infrastructure.
- Participates in the development of information technology functions, processes, practices, policies, and procedures to ensure that they meet the needs of the organization, and reflect changes in the organization’s direction and government legislation.
- Works with other organizations as well as participates on various committees, task forces, and projects related to systems development and implementation as directed.
- Displays an excellent working knowledge of the programs and services delivered by the organization.
Information Management Systems Support
- Assign user names, passwords, pin numbers, and establish levels of access in consultation with Management and/or Privacy Officer.
- Provide database support to end-users.
- Schedule and deliver training sessions.
- Implement changes and additions to programs, reporting codes and procedures as directed.
- Report security breaches, violations and any issues related to the operation of the client information database.
- Customize pick-lists for agency use.
- Configure and maintain agency information, as well as generate reports as directed.
- Maintain program-level operational procedures to protect information as per the Privacy Act.
- Utilize the information technology Help Desk to respond to end-users by offering technical support and technology to access information management systems.
Hardware, Software and Database Maintenance
- Provide technical support to end-users by responding to help desk tickets. Seek resolution, closure, and provide follow-up.
- Advice on necessary computer repairs, maintenance and replacements.
- Install and configure software and hardware.
- Maintain network, servers and technology tools.
- Monitor the security and privacy of AFS information through access controls and firewalls.
- Ensure that all AFS information is backed up and tested regularly.
- Assist in the establishment of standardized PC configurations.
- Complete system upgrades and licensing renewals as required.
- Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements.
- Assist in the maintenance of the AFS websites, domain names, security certificates and hosting.
- Troubleshoot issues and outages.
Training and Professional Development
- Train new employees on the relevant technology, systems, and software utilized at AFS.
- Determine and obtain approval for the best method to provide support and training on software utilizing a variety of methods including classroom, one-to-one, online, self-developed, and third party curriculum.
- Participate in developing a training plan relevant to the position and attend workshops/seminars relating to the position.
- Participate in general agency training sessions as required.
- Familiarize and comply with AFS policies and procedures, and have specific knowledge of AFS policies relating to this position.
- Participate as an effective and active member of the Finance and Administration team, through the development of the annual team service plan pertaining to IT services.
- Participate in the performance appraisal process.
- Participate in various committees as appropriate and attend AFS meetings as required.
- Represent AFS in a professional and responsible manner.
- Complete projects as assigned by coordinating resources and timetables with user departments, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices, and participating in provincial initiatives as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Physical Effort: Physical activity is limited but may be required to move around and about a workstation while troubleshooting a technical problem. Physical activity includes lifting and carrying hardware as required. Some time spent in a comfortable sitting position with the opportunity to move about. Out-of-office travel as required. Presentations to staff will require occasional standing.
- Physical Environment: Located in a comfortable indoor area, however on occasion, travel within the District may place the incumbent in a less than the optimal physical environment.
- Sensory Attention: A high level of concentration, attention, and sensitivity to verbal interactions and written communication.
- Working environment: Ability to balance competing demands for human, fiscal, program and physical resources. Occasionally, there may be considerable demand for personal time for evening and weekend activities. There is pressure for results with attention to deadlines. The position is also required to resolve situations and interactions concerning staff.
PLEASE SEND YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME QUOTING REFERENCE # ADM-1221-01 to email@example.com
This position falls within the bargaining unit represented by the OPSEU.
Algoma Family Services (AFS) encourages applications from all qualified candidates. AFS has a great record for accommodating persons with disabilities. Job candidates are encouraged to contact Human Resources if they need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.