Position: Counsellor (GRWC) Hourly Salary: $29.11 – $35.99
Reports to: Clinical Supervisor/Administration Manager (GRWC) Reference #: CCS-1007-01
Status: Temporary, Full-Time (12-month contract) Location: Garden River Wellness Centre
Posting Date: October 7, 2022 Closing Date: October 14, 2022 @ 4:30 pm.
Using a strength-based, solution-focused, and family-centred approach within the context of anti-oppressive practice, the Counsellor in partnership with the family and other service providers will assess and treat children, youth and adults who are experiencing social and emotional challenges, as well as, any behavioural difficulties impacting the mental and physical health of the family. The Counsellor will work with children, youth, adults and their families to address mental health and addiction challenges. In partnership with the family and other service providers, strengths are identified and built on to preserve natural family environments. This position will be stationed within the Garden River Wellness Centre and services will be delivered on the Garden River First Nation.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or Counselling preferred
- Bachelor Degree of Social Work or equivalent minimum requirement
- Possession of Addictions Certificate is an Asset
- Current registration and in good standing with a regulated professional college (RSW, RP) is required
- Two years of clinical experience working in children’s mental health, addictions or related field preferred
- Equivalent combinations of training and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of a variety of addiction treatment interventions and harm reduction strategies is required.
- Knowledge, understanding and respect of Indigenous culture, traditions and teachings to provide culturally competent services
- Certification in ASIST is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of substance abuse issues, adolescent development, family dynamics, and the impact of substance abuse within the family are required.
- Knowledge of a variety of addictions treatment interventions and harm reduction strategies, along with demonstrated presentation skills is required.
- Sound knowledge of Outreach concepts and familiarity with client-directed treatment models are definite assets.
- Knowledge of pertinent legislation, such as The Psychotherapy Act, The Child, Youth and Family Services Act, The Education Act, and the Youth Criminal Justice Act
- High level of maturity and interpersonal skills, as well as demonstrated leadership qualities with competence in making and implementing decisions.
- Ability to work cooperatively and negotiate effectively within an interdisciplinary team, across the agency, with collateral agencies/professionals including the medical community at both a front-line and systems level.
- Thorough knowledge of mental health and addictions resources.
- Ability to write clear, concise reports.
- Proficiency with computers, especially Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and data MIS.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Driver’s License (minimum of Class G2 if under the age of 19, and Class G license if 19 and over), ability to travel, and use of a personal vehicle.
- Availability to work flexible hours including evenings and occasional weekends across various settings (school, home, office, community).
- The ability to provide services in both official languages (English/French); as well as Indigenous languages is an asset.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain the confidentiality of our clients and client information at all times as per agency policies and procedures.
- Conduct intake and screening activities using a combination of Ministry-approved standardized measures and a clinical interview. Build relationships within the community to bring attention to services available for youth and families facing substance issues.
- Provide addictions-specific or related treatment services to youth and families in a variety of settings. Treatment methods are based on strategies outlined in the Manual: “Best Practices. Treatment & Rehabilitation for Youth with Substance Use Problems.”
- Work in cooperation with other counsellors assigned and service providers to ensure that client information is shared, and that the case plan is coordinated and supported in a timely and efficient manner.
- Provide substance use-related educational services for youth and families.
- Provide individual, family and group services where applicable.
- Maintain accurate records and documentation in GRWC’s community electronic database.
- Participate fully in team concept regarding consultation, case reviews, supervision, meetings and other specific areas related to maintaining a healthy work environment.
- Be responsive to service needs via time scheduling, confidentiality issues, program development, and recording systems as requested by the Clinical Supervisor / Administration Manager.
- Provide input into the development of proposals for service growth and delivery.
- Take initiative to develop a personal professional development plan.
- To participate in annual service planning as appropriate, also in program evaluation in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- To assist in the development of community mental health and addictions through active participation and leadership in establishing and supporting community networks, self-help groups, community planning, etc.
- To interpret the AFS and GRWC service systems to clients, collateral agency representatives, and the community at large.
- To take initiative for professional development on a personal and team level.
Assume other responsibilities as assigned from time to time by the Clinical Supervisor (Algoma Family Services) / Administration Manager (Garden River Wellness
This position falls within the bargaining unit represented by the OPSEU. Algoma Family Services (AFS) is dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. AFS encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Applicants that may require accommodation during the selection process are encouraged to notify HR when contacted for an interview.
If interested please forward your cover letter and resume quoting # CCS-1007-01 to email@example.com